Thursday, July 4, 2013

4th of July dress

 Happy Independence Day!
I made this dress two years ago. I took the pictures last March before she grew too big to wear it. As you can tell, she's barely squeezing into it as it is.
 The last 4th of July dress I made for her is found here and here. Every year I have intentions of making her (and the boys) patriotic clothes for the holiday. And every June I think, Oh, July is a month away...I've got plenty of time. And then suddenly July 4th arrives and I've got nothing. I totally dropped the ball the last few years.

Well, I already have the fabric set aside for next year's Independence Day, but I'm having a hard time finding a pattern for a button-down/snap-down cowboy type shirt for my boys. Any ideas? Anybody?
 I didn't use a pattern to make this dress. I used a ready-to-wear dress as a template and made it up as I went along. I shirred the back bodice, just like the rtw dress, but the bib and the front bodice were self-drafted. I accidentally made the bodice a little small so I threw a zipper in the side seam so she could get it on and off.

I love, love, love the bib front. Afton did not. I love the self-made bias tape I used as piping around the edge of the bib. The combination of the bib and the high waistline (and the length of the skirt) on this dress totally makes her look about five years younger than she actually is. I think that could be one reason she didn't really like this dress. She hardly ever wore it so we gave it away to a friend.

And that is all I have to say about that. Except...go burro, go?
post signature

1 comment:

Sara Jolie said...

so cute! great work