Saturday, February 2, 2013

just started

...a dress for Afton (who is seven).
 Here's the fabric. It's been in my stash for probably at least four years. It's some sort of two-way stretch knit. 
I used a double needle on a self-made bias tape for the finishing on the back neck.
 This is a really dark picture, but it's an image of the sketches Afton and I drew while we were trying to decide what this 1 3/4 yard of fabric should be. She wants me to make the upper-right hand drawing into a black velvety evening gown for her. She drew that one all on her own.
Look how fancy I'm getting! I saved the clear elastic/plastic(ish) hanger things that came with some off-the-rack shirt or dress I bought. And I'm using it to reinforce the shoulder seams. Lately I've been looking at t-shirts and other ready-to-wear clothes in our closets to get some ideas on how to make this dress a success. I've been meaning to start it for a couple of months. Sometimes I just have to let the ideas simmer for awhile. And sometimes I just call it idea-simmering but it's really just procrastination and laziness.
post signature