Saturday, October 6, 2012

scrap dress

Kirk took the oldest two kids camping last weekend. Reid and I stayed home.
Here's what I started.
I went through my scrap pile. Above, is a bit of fabric (free to me!) left over from someone else's skirt. I've been hauling it around for over four years and I decided it was time to finally try to make something out of it.
Here's the goal: McCalls 6433 plus sleeves (I got mine for $1).

First of all, I can't believe I'm actually getting a whole dress out of these scraps. It's kind of blowing my mind. Secondly, I love, love, love my serger. It makes a frankenstein project go so much quicker!
Alright, down to business. I was excited to try out my new pattern weights. But Reid was too busy playing with them.
 
So I ended up using my old tried & true method: grab whatever is close by and pile it on the pattern.
 
For a few of the pattern pieces, there just wasn't enough fabric. I decided to frankenstein it together.
 
I thought it might be interesting to add the embroidered fabric in this shape to create a "bow" at the back of the waist.
 
I marked 6/8 in for seam allowance. Then I cut along the dotted line and voila! I had a new pattern piece made.
 
So now I'm trying to make a decision.
Keep the bow butt, or make it all-black from the waist down?
What do you think?
 
This is the front. It looks pretty matronly. True, I am a mother, but I'm not sure I want to look like a grandmother. I just keep telling myself...It's okay if this project is a wadder. I'm not wasting any money. The fabric was totally free. It's just an educational experience. But I'm having a hard time believing myself. I want it to look awesome. We shall see, we shall see.

2 comments:

Sarajolie said...

that is so cool! you are so resourceful! love it!

Rishi said...

The back, especially the one with the bow doesn't look matronly to me. Its the front that does. I think it might be where it looks like a skirt and a blouse. But I really do like those flowers a lot.