Thursday, August 2, 2012

her birthday suit

 I made her another swimming suit. This one was for her birthday.

Pattern: Kwik Sew 3605 (with modifications)
Fabric: double knit swim fabric, 85% nylon 15% lycra
Notions: 3/8" swimsuit elastic
Total cost: ~$9.50

She picked out the fabric. At first I thought it looked like it should be used strictly for old granny suits. I was so wrong. It totally works for a little girl's bathing suit. I love it. And what's even better is that she loves it.

I used the same pattern as with the last suit. Only this time, I made the top one size larger and I modified it even more so it looks almost nothing like the original pattern. I like it even better than the last one. Plus, it was quicker and easier to make without that extra seam under the "bustline." Is it still called a bustline when the child is seven years old and has no bust?

I thought I made the briefs exactly the same size, but it's strange because these are quite a bit baggier in the rear than the last briefs. I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Sandy's Fabrics is the place to go, locally, for swimming suit fabrics and knits. But even they are out of swimming suit lining. Bummer. I'd like to whip up another one for a birthday party this weekend. I'm on the hunt now.



I think she had a great birthday.
post signature

No comments: