Thursday, July 19, 2012

just made

I finished it. Just this morning.

Pattern: Kwik Sew 3605 (with modifications)
Fabric: double knit swim fabric (Afton picked it out three years ago. Just now getting around to making a suit out of it.)
Notions: 3/8" swimsuit elastic
Total cost: ~$9.50

 I modified the top. I had a problem with the triangle shapes on the original pattern. It made a ridiculously low V. If the suit were to shift to one side or the other, it would be considered a "wardrobe malfunction." Also, the triangles on the pattern are gathered at the bottom which adds a bunch of fulness to the chest. This very petite, not-quite-seven year-old of mine has absolutely no fulness in the chest. So I used their pattern as a guide and I just drafted my own round-neck non-triangle, non-gathered top. Take that Kwik Sew 3605! I think it looks just as cute and I think it's also more age appropriate.

I also added 3/8 inch to the waistline of the briefs. Now that I see it on her, I don't think I needed to do that. Next time I'll make the briefs without messing with the pattern.

It took me less than a half hour from start to finish to make the briefs. That includes cutting and sewing. It's super satisfying to make such a quick project. Especially one that gets worn immediately. We hopped in the car and headed to swim lessons the moment I stitched the last stitch.
 Afton sounded a little worried as she waited for me to finish up.
What if you made a mistake and the swimming suit falls off me?
 It won't fall off of you, kiddo.
The suit stayed on. She loves it. Success!

One last thing. I've got to say, thank goodness for my serger! It made this project go so much more smoothly and quickly. The photo above is the first suit I made for her back when she was three. It was made without a serger (I think). I drafted the pattern. It was wonky and stretched funny and I didn't know what I was doing, but for a first try it wasn't that bad. It was so hard to find a rtw two-peice tankini suit in her size back then. I sure wish that I had a picture of the back. It was a racer back. And that pink bubble fabric! So fun for a little three year-old.
I think I'm going to make one more suit for her and then one for me. Maybe this one...
Burda Style "Alison"
post signature

1 comment:

Rishi said...

Wow! I'm impressed. A swimming suit. I have NEVER attempted one. They scare me. You are awesome!