Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Random Dollies

We made homemade dollies a few weeks ago. It was a very spur-of-the-moment kind of thing. A friend was telling me how her mother gives sewing lessons to the grandchildren. And how her five year-old was working on sewing her own dolly. "Why am I not doing that with my kids," I thought. So I immediately drove home and dug through my stash. I used a white stretch cotton. Mostly cotton anyway, maybe 95%.
 I cut out a front and a back for two dollies. One girl, one boy. No pattern, just made it up. (Obviously. They're sort of ghetto.) I sewed them together using a zig-zag stitch around the edges, leaving a hole in the side for stuffing the stuffing.

 This is where I opened my sweat-shop and put the kids to work.

 Sew that dolly's side up.

 Voila. One blank boy. One blank girl.

 I handed the kids some fabric markers and let them go at it.

 My three year-old was very bummed that his boy was "sad." He drew eyes and a mouth by himself and thought it looked sad so he drew another set of eyes and a second mouth in an attempt to fix it. I think four eyes and two mouths on his guy freaked him out a little and frustrated him a lot so he handed the dolly to me and wouldn't work on it anymore. I tried to fix it and turn it into a smiley face but he was still defeated. So I finished coloring his little doll for him.
finished fronts
 And voila again! The dollies are done. The kids actually played with them quite a bit for a few days. I think my five year-old was especially proud because she decorated her doll all by herself. I think it's good for kids to be able to play with homemade toys (even something like these crazy looking, zero planned out dolls) rather than always having to have store bought, character themed, battery operated toys.
finished backs
Let's hear it for homemade toys!!

3 comments:

donna said...

love the dolls..

Rishi said...

I think homemade toys are often the best and most fun!

Reba said...

these are adorable. ellie's been asking for a "rag doll" this might be just the ticket :)