Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Late Spring Top

Finished! (Unless I decide to add some cuffs to the sleeves.)
 I started this top way back when in hopes of finishing it by the end of April. That was the deadline for Made By Rae's Spring Top Week. The problem (besides me being a total slacker) was that I had no pattern, I had no dress form, and I had less than one-and-a-half yards of fabric to make it with. When will I ever learn to buy more fabric than I need, not less? Probably never, if I'm being honest.

So one dress form later, this is my Late Spring Top! I wonder if Rae over at Made by Rae will send me a prize anyway. Ha!

I've never draped before so I'm almost clueless. The draping book by Helen Joseph-Armstrong is sitting on my bookshelf and I've looked over it. A lot. But as I was actually working on this top I didn't open the book. I'm sure it would have turned out better if I had. Oh well. I'll open it next time I do some draping.

I really liked using a dress form. I had never used one before so this was all new to me. I know I don't have it adjusted perfectly yet. I think I need to feed the Red Mamma a few cheeseburgers so she looks more like me.
 I made it so it was very fitted on top, while the bottom floats away from the body so it can hide my rolls I can eat a big lunch without anyone noticing.
  The floral is some sort of upholstery fabric. The solid is a knit poly blend. I put an invisible zipper in the side seam.

And a special thanks to the little man for "helping" me measure everything twice. That boy loves to spin the Red Mamma around and around. And he loves wrapping the tape measure around and around everything. More than twice.

7 comments:

Rachel Bagley Wurtz said...

love the color! Awesome Charith :D

lovely lindsay said...

Next up ... Project Runway!

Reba said...

wooee. I'm not sure why I missed this blog before. Love this shirt. Love it.

Chelsea Monet said...

ooo-la-la! I like that. I also like your modeling poses.

Lori said...

Just as impressed as I am with the top, I am impressed with your clean floors. I think there may be one spot in my entire house that I could not find something. Wahoo for being clean and crafty!

Rishi said...

I love the top. Josiah found a pair of scissors left behind the other day (oops) and cut my tape measure. I was not a happy camper.

*~McGarys~* said...

I had no idea that you sewed things as well. Now I know who to call when I need help.